Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Learning Journey

Over the last two months in my CEP 811 and 810 courses, I have opened up a whole new level in my technology knowledge and ability. Here are some thoughts.
Effective teaching when integrating technology
I have always believed that cooperative learning, projects and in depth study of a topic helps students to have a more effective learning experience. While studying about WebQuests and creating one, I have decided that this is a very effective way to incorporate content, meaningful study, cooperative learning and a project all while using the Internet! As teachers we are always looking for more ways to teach more in less time and WebQuests engage the students in many aspects of learning. Through this course, I have come to the conclusion that these types of learning experiences are even more enhanced because of integrating technology. When using technology, I think today's digital natives (our students) are more tuned in. They know it is important to be able to use these tools and they engage more. Another effective teaching strategy for me has always been scaffolding and feedback. In our StAIR project, we used a technology tool to teach a subject. For the slides, I incorporated scaffolding as I slowly took away support and had it only on the feedback slides. I think this helps our students move toward being more independent as well.
Web-Based Technologies
My conclusion about teaching with technology through web-based tools is that it is an environment where collaboration is essential and can thrive when students are willing to let it. Through tools like WebQuests or Google Docs, students are responsible for working together to make sure that the work is complete. Every student has a voice and every student is responsible for his or her learning as well as the learning of the group. I think this is a very important skill to be learning for tomorrow's workplace.
My Goals
My goals for this course were to learn about new ways to integrate technology into the curriculum. As teachers, we have less and less time to teach more and more. As the new technology coach at an elementary school, I wanted to find innovative products that would help teachers to make a change for their students that would really make a difference. I think I met my goal and am walking away from this course with several new tools in my toolbox so I can help teachers integrate more technology into their teaching next year.
My New Goal
My new goal as I continue to pursue my master's is to continue to find ways to bridge the gaps between digital natives and digital immigrants within the teaching staff. I also aim to continue finding new and innovative ways to make a difference for student learning through the use of technology. I believe that completing my master's degree will allow me to be a successful technology coach.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, it has been great working with you. You have been generous with contributions to your group and the class as a whole. I am sure that you will do well as you continue in the Master's program. You are right that technology used well can help us to provide richer learning experiences for our students. By learning about strategies that work well and also principles of effective integration with technology we can do a better job of engaging our students and help them be prepared for their future. I hope you share your successes as you continue toward your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    I've enjoyed working with you during this course! Through your comments and insight, I have gained ideas for my own practice. I wish you so much success in the future. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete